The HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY is designed with the ongoing safety of our community in mind. Its purpose is to inform and communicate with transparency the steps that HUSTLE takes to ensure a safe space in studio.
The HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY is based on Vancouver Coastal Health COVID-19 Safety Plan Checklist for Fitness and Recreation Facilities and the 6 steps included in the “Guide to Reducing the Risk of COVID-19” as developed by WorkSafeBC and the plan will evolve as we continue to monitor the ongoing effects of this global pandemic.
ASSESSING THE RISK AT THE WORKPLACE
The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads in several ways, including through droplets when a person coughs or sneezes, or from touching a contaminated surface before touching the face. The risk of person-to-person transmission increases the closer you come to other people, the more time you spend near them, and the more people you come near. The risk of surface transmission increases when many people contact the same surface and when those contacts happen over short periods of time.
HUSTLE, with the help of our Studio Manager and Front Desk Employees, have identified places where the risk of transmission is introduced.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
– Fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat and painful swallowing, stuffy or runny nose, loss of sense of smell, headache, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite.
Since carriers of COVID-19 have the potential to show no signs or symptoms, our approach will be to assume that all workers & customers may be potential carriers.
The COVID-19 virus is:
– Transmitted via liquid droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. The virus can enter through these droplets through the eyes, nose or throat if you are in close contact.
Is NOT known to be airborne or enter through skin, but CAN be spread by touch if a person has used their hands to over their mouth or nose when they cough.
These are the areas where the risk is elevated:
– Studio lobby, instructor team rooms, reception desk, hallways outside the studio room, change rooms.
These processes require employees to come in proximity with one another or customers:
– Check-in at the reception desk, handing out equipment and towels, accessing cleaning supplies, travelling across hallways through the premises.
These are the tools, machinery, and equipment that employees encounter during their work:
– Spray bottles, cleaning equipment, cleaning supplies, fitness equipment, shoes, towels, stationary bikes, headphones, hand weights, cash drawer, computers.
These are the surfaces being touched often:
– Doorknobs/handles, computer keyboard/mouse, reception desk, lockers, light switches, washer/dryer doors.
IMPLEMENTING MEASURES TO REDUCE THE RISK
These measures have been implemented to reduce the risk of transmission of the COVID-19 virus in the HUSTLE premises.
Maintaining physical distance:
– Only two employees per shift (working in cohorts). One tasked with front desk duties and the other tasked with cleaning/tidying up duties as to avoid close contact with one another;
– Posting occupancy limits outside the change rooms and closing off the high touch amenities such as showers/beauty bars;
– Posting occupancy limits outside the studio to half the previous capacity to allow for physical distancing;
– Posting occupancy limits outside Instructor Team rooms to allow for adequate physical distancing;
– Maintaining a 2.5-metre distance between mats side to side for classes;
– Employees are scheduled with the same group every week to minimize risk of broad transmission (set weekly working schedule);
– Wherever a 2-metre distance between employees and customers cannot be maintained, see-through partitions have been installed (at the reception desk).
Cleaning and hygiene:
– Hand sanitizing stations are available upon entry and at each reception desk. Customers are encouraged to sanitize before and after every visit inside the premises;
– Signage encouraging hand washing is posted at the entrance of HUSTLE.
HUSTLE has adequate handwashing facilities on site for all employees and customers;
– Our Studio Manager has created a daily deep cleaning schedule that ensures we take all steps necessary in preventing a COVID-19 outbreak at our studio. Top-grade institutional disinfectants are used in combination with electro-static sprayers to cover all surfaces with microparticles known to kill pathogens in the air and any surface contacted;
– All high-touch surfaces, fitness equipment and weights are disinfected multiple times daily including after every class. We also ask our community to do their part and help us sanitize their equipment using the sanitizing wipes provided after every class;
– Showers will remain off-limits for the time being to avoid contamination in enclosed spaces and to prevent participants from being present when the next class begins. The changeroom capacity will be limited to 2 participants at a time to ensure proper physical distancing;
– Hand sanitizer is available at the entrance, in the studio space and the front desk.
DEVELOPING NEW POLICIES
New policies have been introduced to reduce the risk of transmission within the HUSTLE premises:
– Same schedule, more cleaning. Additional employee hours and improved procedures have been implemented at our studio to allow for deeper cleaning and reset.
– Less than 50% of mats and TRX. Fewer mats and TRX will be made available for booking. All mats and TRX have been spaced side-to-side by 2.5 meters for all classes. Check out the new class maps online or on our App.
– Sanitizing wipes. We will continue to offer a sanitizing wipe station inside the studio room for pre-class and post-class use. Please do your part in helping us keep our space clean and safe.
– No shared equipment between participants. All equipment will be thoroughly sanitized before, between and after classes. No one is to share any equipment through the duration of class or change weights with another participant once the weights have been touched. If a participant does not need a weight it can be left off to the side for HUSTLE staff to clean after class. Throughout class, any equipment changes must be done by a coach wearing a mask.
HIGH RISK EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS
All HUSTLE employees and customers will self-screen prior to entry of the facility following the BC COVID-19 Symptom Self-Assessment Tool guidelines. If an employee or customer shows any signs or symptoms:
– They will not be permitted entry to the facility OR will be asked to leave immediately;
– Recommended to stay home and self-isolate and self-monitor;
– If an employee, instructor or customer is returning from outside of Canada, they will not be permitted entry, and will recommended to stay home and self-isolate and self-monitor.
Rest assured that before every employee shift, our Studio Manager checks in with our employees to ensure they are symptom free and not feeling ill. We are flexible and nimble enough as an organization to allow employees to stay home if they perceive any symptoms that may warrant a COVID-19 test. A negative test result is required before coming back to the studio. The same directives apply to our team of coaches. Last minute schedule changes may occur as we navigate this new normal and ask our instructors to get tested for COVID-19 if they feel ill or show symptoms of the virus.
As a member of our community, the following statements must be read and verbally acknowledged before attending a class at the studio:
– I do not have any symptoms of COVID-19, including, but not limited to: fever, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose, loss of taste or smell, nausea, and vomiting, headache, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite or diarrhea.
– I have not been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
– I have not travelled outside of the country within the last 14 days.
– I understand that by choosing to attend a class at HUSTLE, even with the increased health and safety protocols, I acknowledge and accept the additional risks associated with visiting public spaces during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We ask that all community members and staff answer these questions honestly and to the best of their knowledge.
MASKS AND FACE COVERING
Masks or face coverings MUST be worn by anyone entering the HUSTLE studio. Masks are to be removed only once at your designated mat and your equipment is at your mat. Our coaches will facilitate in an orderly fashion the distribution of weights. Once class has started no one may take equipment from the closet. When the class is over, masks must be worn again as you travel inside the studio to get sanitizing wipes or exit the room.
Please note the following about masks/face coverings:
– Non-medical masks may help prevent the risk of transmission from the wearer.
– Masks can become contaminated on the outside when touched by hands so employees should avoid touching or adjusting them often.
– Masks that become wet, soiled or damaged are less effective and must be replaced.
– Masks must be put on and taken off correctly, including not touching the front of the mask, and washing hands.
– Cloth masks must be washed every day using the warmest water setting and stored in a clean dry place to prevent contamination.
– Masks should never be shared.
– If a non-cloth mask is used (e.g. medical mask), ensure employees know these items are single use. In addition to following safe procedures for putting them on and taking them off, they cannot be cleaned or reused.
DEVELOPING COMMUNICATION PLANS AND TRAINING
HUSTLE, its staff and customers will do everything possible, including following all requirements laid out by the provincial and federal government, to minimize the chances of spreading COVID-19. We have a training plan in place to ensure everyone is trained in the HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY. All employees have received policies for staying home when sick or symptomatic. We have posted signage at the studio indicating occupancy limits and effective hygiene practices.
LATE CANCELLATIONS DUE TO COVID-19 SYMPTOMS
If for any reason a participant feels it would be more cautious to miss a booking, please contact HUSTLE at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a cancellation free of charge. We understand things come up last minute and would prefer to err on the side of caution for the safety of our staff and community.
MONITORING THE WORKPLACE AND UPDATING THIS PLAN AS NEEDED
HUSTLE has a plan in place to monitor these risks. We make changes to our policies and procedures as necessary. Things may change as our business operates. If we identify a new area of concern, or if it seems like something is not working, we will take steps to update these policies and procedures. Our entire team is involved in this process. Employees are encouraged to raise safety concerns.
ASSESSING AND ADDRESSING RISKS FROM RESUMING OPERATIONS
Employees will be given additional COVID-19 procedural training as they return to work. Our studio managers will ensure all employees acknowledge, and are comfortable with, any new products, procedures and equipment being used to safely conduct our business. All employees will be asked to sign this HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY document acknowledging they have read and understand the contents.
IN THE CASE OF COVID-19 EXPOSURE AT HUSTLE
If a HUSTLE Employee or Coach has tested positive for COVID-19, they must immediately inform the Studio Manager to be replaced on the schedule and quarantine appropriately. HUSTLE Management will then contact Vancouver Coastal Health immediately for next steps. All Employees and Coaches will be contacted and requested to follow the guidelines from Vancouver Coastal Health.
In cases deemed low risk by Vancouver Coastal Health, we will notify all staff and participants who may have had exposure, communicate any provincial health services protocols.
In cases deemed moderate to high risk by Vancouver Coastal Health, we will repeat the above action and follow any additional steps deemed necessary by health authorities. These may include a studio closure, additional deep cleaning and/or a message to our entire community via email and social media.
While we are taking every precaution to keep our community safe (and encourage you to do the same), we are acutely aware of, and highly prepared for, the possibility of a second wave.
By doing your part, you can effectively help us come back from this pandemic. Please be responsible and understand that you are attending classes at HUSTLE at your own risk. If you are deemed to be high-risk for complications from the virus, or live with someone who is, we would recommend you not return to the studio at this time. By choosing to come back to HUSTLE, you acknowledge and accept the additional risks associated with COVID-19 regardless of the increased safety and cleaning protocols we are putting in place.
Whether you plan to join us in the studio or feel more comfortable staying home using our newly launched REVEL subscription, we are here for you. If you have questions or concerns, let’s talk it out at email@example.com.