The HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY is designed with the ongoing safety of our community in mind. Its purpose is to inform and communicate with transparency the steps that HUSTLE takes to ensure a safe space at each studio location.
The HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY is based on the Worksafe BC Communicable Disease Prevention guide. As COVID-19 vaccinations have become widely available to British Columbians, the overall risk of COVID-19 transmission and serious consequences has diminished. Despite this, the virus will still circulate like other communicable diseases.
A “communicable disease” is an illness caused by an infectious agent or its toxic product that can be transmitted in a workplace from one person to another. Examples of communicable disease that may circulate in a workplace include COVID-19 and seasonal influenza.
ASSESSING THE RISK AT THE WORKPLACE
The viruses that cause COVID-19 and other communicable diseases spread in several ways, including through droplets when a person coughs or sneezes, or from touching a contaminated surface before touching the face. The risk of person-to-person transmission increases the closer you come to other people, the more time you spend near them, and the more people you come near. The risk of surface transmission increases when many people contact the same surface and when those contacts happen over short periods of time.
HUSTLE, with the help of Studio Managers and Front Desk Employees, have identified places where the risk of transmission is introduced. These are the areas where the risk is elevated:
- Studio lobbies, group fitness studio, instructor team rooms, reception desks, hallways outside the group fitness studios, and change rooms.
Furthermore, these processes require employees to come in proximity with one another or customers:
- Check-in at the reception desk, accessing cleaning supplies, travelling across hallways through the premises, checking on the group fitness room before and after class to ensure all customers are settled in their reserved class spots.
These are the tools, machinery, and equipment that employees come into contact with during the course of their work:
- Spray bottles, cleaning equipment, cleaning supplies, towels, yoga mats, exercise equipment, cash drawer, and computers.
These are the surfaces being touched often:
- Door Knobs/handles, computer keyboard/mouse, reception desk, storage cabinet pulls, cash drawer, lockers, light switches, bathroom sinks, water fountains, sanitizing wipes dispensers, and washer/dryer doors.
IMPLEMENTING MEASURES TO REDUCE THE RISK
These measures have been implemented to reduce the risk of transmission of communicable diseases in the HUSTLE premises.
Implementation of Policies to Support Staff:
- HUSTLE has implemented policies to support staff who have symptoms of a communicable disease (e.g., fever or chills, coughing, diarrhea), so they avoid being at the workplace when sick. There is a clear and easy communication process for finding replacement for work shifts or classes being taught.
- Employees are supported in receiving vaccinations for COVID-19 and other vaccine-preventable conditions by being able to book necessary time off as required.
Cleaning and hygiene:
- Hand hygiene stations and facilities with appropriate supplies will continue to be offered at all studio locations;
- Policies and signage have been installed to remind workers and customers to wash their hands regularly and to cover coughs and sneezes;
- The class schedule allows for sufficient time between sessions to allow for cleaning and resetting the studio to maintain a clean environment;
- Our Studio Managers have created a daily deep cleaning schedule that ensures we take all steps necessary in preventing the spread of communicable diseases at our studios. Top-grade institutional disinfectants are used on all surfaces.
- All high-touch surfaces, yoga mats and exercise equipment are disinfected multiple times daily. We also ask our community to do their part and help us sanitize the yoga mats and exercise equipment using the sanitizing wipes provided after every class;
Maintaining adequate building ventilation:
- The group fitness studio is equipped with HEPA filter ventilation systems that have been engineered for our business occupancy to optimize fresh air intake and exhaust.
- The group fitness studio has been equipped with medical-grade air purification units that use a 6-stage purification process proven to remove almost 100% of Air Pollutants, Viruses, Bacteria and Fungus that are present in indoor air.
DEVELOPING NEW POLICIES
New policies will be introduced as advised by Public Health to reduce the risk of transmission of communicable diseases within the HUSTLE premises:
- Follow all direction from medical health officers and regional health authorities;
- Follow all orders, guidance, recommendations, and notices issued by the provincial health officer that are relevant to our industry, region or workplace.
MASKS AND FACE COVERINGS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR PUBLIC INDOOR SETTINGS
The public health authorities continue to highly recommend that masks be worn in any public indoor setting. Please note the following about masks/face coverings:
- Non-medical masks may help prevent the risk of transmission from the wearer.
Masks can become contaminated on the outside when touched by hands so employees should avoid touching or adjusting them often.
- Masks that become wet, soiled or damaged are less effective and must be replaced.
- Masks must be put on and taken off correctly, including not touching the front of the mask, and washing hands.
- Cloth masks must be washed every day using the warmest water setting and stored in a clean dry place to prevent contamination.
- Masks should never be shared.
- If a non-cloth mask is used (e.g. medical mask), ensure employees know these items are single use. In addition to following safe procedures for putting them on and taking them off, they cannot be cleaned or reused.
DEVELOPING COMMUNICATION PLANS AND TRAINING
HUSTLE, its employees and customers will do everything possible, including following all requirements laid out by the provincial and federal government, to minimize the chances of spreading COVID-19 and other communicable diseases.
- HUSTLE studio managers have all been briefed on the measures included in this plan. They are knowledgeable about the measures, practices, and policies and incorporate these into supervision practices at the workplace.
- We have a training plan in place to ensure everyone is trained in the HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY. All employees have received policies for staying home when sick or symptomatic. We have posted signage at all studio locations indicating effective hygiene practices.
LATE CANCELLATIONS DUE TO COVID-19 OR OTHER COMMUNICABLE DISEASE SYMPTOMS
If for any reason a customer feels it would be more cautious to miss a booking, please contact HUSTLE at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a cancellation free of charge. At the time of your class cancellation we will freeze your account until you provide us with a negative COVID test or completed appropriate quarantine protocols. We understand things come up last minute and would prefer to err on the side of caution for the safety of our staff and community. This policy will remove any sense of financial stress coming from being penalized for missing a booking.
MONITORING THE WORKPLACE AND UPDATING THIS PLAN AS NEEDED
HUSTLE has a plan in place to monitor these risks. We make changes to our policies and procedures as necessary. Things may change as our business operates. If we identify a new area of concern, or if it seems like something isn’t working, we will take steps to update these policies and procedures. Our entire team is involved in this process. Employees are encouraged to raise safety concerns.
ASSESSING AND ADDRESSING RISKS FROM RESUMING OPERATIONS
Employees will be given additional communicable disease procedural training as they return to work. Studio Managers will ensure all employees acknowledge, and are comfortable with, any new products, procedures and equipment being used to safely conduct our business. All employees will be asked to sign this HUSTLE STANDARD OF SAFETY document acknowledging they have read and understand the contents.
IN THE CASE OF COVID-19 EXPOSURE AT ANY HUSTLE LOCATION
If a HUSTLE Employee or Instructor has tested positive for COVID-19, they must immediately inform their Studio Manager to be replaced on the schedule and quarantine appropriately. HUSTLE Management will then contact Vancouver Coastal Health immediately for next steps. All Employees and Instructors from that studio location will be contacted and requested to follow the guidelines from Vancouver Coastal Health.
In cases deemed low risk by Vancouver Coastal Health, we will notify all staff and riders who may have had exposure, communicate any provincial health services protocols.
In cases deemed moderate to high risk by Vancouver Coastal Health, we will repeat the above action and follow any additional steps deemed necessary by health authorities. These may include a studio closure, additional deep cleaning and/or a message to our entire community via email and social media.
While we’re taking every precaution to keep our community safe (and encourage you to do the same), we’re acutely aware of, and highly prepared for, the possibility of future potential communicable diseases.
By doing your part, you can effectively help us come back from this pandemic. Please be responsible and understand that you are attending classes at HUSTLE at your own risk. If you are deemed to be high-risk for complications from the virus, or live with someone who is, we would recommend you not return to the studio at this time. By choosing to come back to HUSTLE, you acknowledge and accept the additional risks associated with COVID-19 regardless of the increased safety and cleaning protocols we are putting in place.